Southwestern Community Services
NH Emergency rental assistance program
The New Hampshire Emergency Rental Assistance Program (NHERAP) provides assistance to elegible residents of New Hampshire who cannot pay their rent and utilities due to the COVID-19 Pandemic.
If you have already received NHERAP services and would like to request additional assistance, please reach out to the CAP staff person who processed your services or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You will need to complete a short online application for additional services and provide documentation if your monthly rent amount has changed.
If you need assistance with an eviction, contact 603 Legal Aid, which provides free civil legal services to low-income people.
The New Hampshire Emergency Rental Assistance Program provides rent and utility assistance to eligible households who have experienced financial hardship during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Have you experienced at least ONE OF THESE in the past year?
- Reduced income
- Significant costs
- Other financial hardship
- Qualified for unemployment benefits after March 12, 2020
- At risk of homelessness, paying more than 30% of your income for rent and utilities, or living in unsafe or unhealthy housing
- Under a certain income level
The NH Emergency Rental Assistance Program will cover up to 18 months of:
- Past-due and future rent payments, including late fees and legal fees (back to April 1, 2020)
- Past-due and future utilities and home heating costs (back to March 13, 2020)
- Other housing-related costs such as internet and relocation expenses including rental application fees, utility hook-up fees, and security deposits.
- Apply using the online application. Call us if you need assistance in completing the application or need a paper application.
- When you apply, we will assist you in identifying the information and documents you need. This may include documentation of unemployment, job loss, or hours being reduced, increased expenses, or other pandemic-related financial hardships.
- We will review applications, and once approved, we will process payments. These payments are usually made directly to landlords and utility companies. We make every effort to process each application as quickly as possible.
The NH Emergency Rental Assistance Program is a federally funded rental assistance program through the Governor's Office for Emergency Relief and Recovery (GOFERR). It is administrated by New Hampshire Housing, in collaboration with GOFERR and the state's five Community Action Partnership agencies.
Note: The NH Emergency Rental Assistance Program is for renters and landlords, not homeowners. If you art at risk of foreclosure or are having difficulty paying your home insurance or property taxes, go to HomeHelpNH.org or call 2-1-1.